Yakball is a new sport, which is gaining popularity with athletes in the area. My goal is to form a league this summer, and expand the sport in college. The field dimensions are below, and the rules are as follows
- 4 players on the field, per team
- Four 10 minute periods in a Yakball game
- Goal of the game is to bounce the ball into the target, a 3 by 6 box 4 feet off the ground
- Most points win
- The ball is in play, even after points. Once a point is scored, the possession is changed, and play is resumed behind the 2 point line
- The playing field is broken up into 3 zones, 2 point zone, neutral zone, and crease zone.
- A game ball is a Volleyball
- The playing field is 36 feet wide at the wall, 56 feet wide at the far end and 56 feet long
- Play is opened by a faceoff, one occurs at the start of each half
- A crease is a semi-circle in front of the target, no offensive player is allowed in the crease.
- The crease zone comes out 16 feet from the wall, and players with possession cannot move when in this zone. They can rotate on a pivot foot, however.
- A shot from behind the 2 point line in the 2 point zone is worth 2 points
- A foul results in a Penalty for the team, a 4 on 3 advantage for the team who had the foul commited against them.
- 2 passes must be made before a point is scored
- Hitting is allowed, but nothing to the head and back. Legal hits are only to the player with the ball.
- Fouls include: Illegal hit, tripping, catch interference, and crease violations.
- A ball that goes out of bounds is a change in possession, and results in an inbound.
- Only throwing the ball, and heading the ball counts. No kicking the ball into the target.
- The Center must remain in the box while play
- When a shot is taken, only one player non center can be in the box. 3 or more players in the box on a shot results in a change of possession.
- Substitutions with teammates take must happen through the subs box on the left and right side of the middle box. The player being subbed in cannot leave the box until the player coming out is in it.
- Centers can only leave the box if a teammate raises their hand and declares themselves as the temporary center, allowing the center to run with the ball. This speeds up changes of possession after a block, or turn over. The center must return to the box immediately when the ball is no longer in his possession.
- Center- The player near the crease. He will be there to clear up space for the other players, defelect shots into the target, and even block shots. A big tall person would play here.
- Enforcer- The player at the top. The catalyst of the offense, the player who does faceoffs, and runs the offense. A player with a sharp shot would play here
- Left wing- The player to the left of the box. A left wing would try to get open shots by running around and getting open. A right handed player would play here.
- Right wing- The same type player as a left winger. A lefty would be play here.
- Point- A shot that hits the wall inside the target
- Assisst- A pass before a point. If the scorer has the ball for more than 5 seconds, then there is no assist
- Deflection- A redirection of a shot by another offensive player. The player shooting gets the point, and the deflector gets a deflection
- Block- A block of a shot
- Rebound- Gathering of a loose ball after a shot
- Fouls- A penalty resulting in a uneven situation
Add the facebook page, and keep in touch with all things yakball.